First you'll need to see if you have the needed tools installed.
- Open a command line/terminal
- note: as of May 2021 we require at least Node version 12
If any of those steps return an error you need to install the corresponding software.
- To install Node: go to the official downloads page
- To install Yarn: Yarn requires Node, follow the install guide
- To install Gulp: Follow the gulp-cli install guide
We have a recommended development environment for new developers:
- Setup a GitHub.com account
- Install the GitHub Desktop git client
- For editing code, install Visual Studio Code
We also recommended some extensions to improve you editing experience and speed:
See the troubleshooting guide.
Developing the VF Core
You only need to clone
vf-core if you wish to make a pull request to create, amend or delete core components, or modify the way Sass, JS or other assets are compiled.
git clone https://github.com/visual-framework/vf-core.git
- Move to the directory
- You probably want the develop branch (or your new feature branch)
git checkout develop
- Go into the Visual Framework main project
- Download all the things
- Run a dev build and open in your browser
Developing on Windows?
The Visual Framework is primarily developed on Mac and Linux environments, but it is also intended to be Windows 10 compatible.